Sedgeford Aerodrome was a sister airfield to Bircham Newton during the First World War. Initially, from 1915, it was used as a landing ground by the Royal Naval Air Service, in its efforts to counter the Zeppelin threat prevalent at that time along the east coast. Later, from 1916, it was used by the Royal Flying Corps and its successor the Royal Air Force as a training aerodrome to prepare squadrons that were being deployed to the Western Front and other theatres of war. Fledgling squadrons would undergo several months of intensive flying training and gunnery practice to prepare them for combat, although flying was in its infancy and the training was rudimentary by today's standards.
Many squadrons were trained at Sedgeford, including Nos. 45, 64, 72, 87, 110 and 122 squadrons. It was also the home of No. 3 Fighting School, which moved there in late 1918 from Bircham Newton. Click on the following link to learn more about RFC training at Sedgeford
Sedgeford was closed in the defence cuts that occured after the First World War, but was used as a decoy site for Bircham Newton during the Second World War. The existing buildings at that time were used to create a 'K' site, or dummy airfield, with decoy aircraft and a false runway that could be lit up at night to divert enemy aircraft away from Bircham Newton. The decoy site contained an underground bunker, where the airmen could shelter during a raid. The site was attacked at least once, when a German aircraft machine gunned the site.
© D. Jacklin 2017. This website is owned by the RAF Bircham Newton Memorial Project.