From January 1959 until the end of 1962 Bircham Newton was the home of the RAF Administrative Apprentices' Training School (AATS), which relocated from RAF Hereford. The School trained young RAF apprentices, who underwent 20 months of intense training to learn their RAF trades as Clerks Secretarial, Pay Accountants or Suppliers. There were three entries of apprentices each year. The 32nd to 35th entries of apprentices relocated to Bircham Newton with the AATS, when it was moved there in January 1959; these entries subsequently graduated from Bircham Newton. The 36th to 43rd entries of apprentices completed all of their training and graduated from Bircham Newton. The final entry to graduate from Bircham Newton, the 43rd entry, had its final parade on the 18th of December 1962, the day that the RAF station closed down. Following this final graduation parade, and a beating retreat ceremony, the AATS relocated back to RAF Hereford. The 44th, 45th and 46th entries relocated to Hereford with the School and subsequently graduated there. The photograph above shows the Administrative Apprentices Drum and Trumpet Band.
Use your browser back arrow or the main menu to return to RAF Bircham Newton
© D. Jacklin 2017. This website is owned by the RAF Bircham Newton Memorial Project.